Devil’s Food Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze is just incredible! A whole year of baking a different bundt every month. How did this happen? Yes, this Devil’s Food Cake Bundt with a Caramel Glaze is to celebrate the anniversary of #BundtaMonth.
Anuradha and I declared our love of baking beautiful Bundts exactly one year ago. We were in this bundt baking business for the long haul! The first bundt I shared with the group was actually a chocolate one…a Chocolate Zucchini Swirl Bundt cake, to be exact. Oh, I forgot how good that bundt was! There were 7 of us bakers proclaiming our love of bundts that first month.
This is a rich chocolate cake. A moist chocolate cake. It’s a wonderful cake that would be fine even with a simple dusting of powdered sugar (the way I like it!). But to celebrate this month, I had to make it a little more fancy. I had so much fun with my July bundt using caramel and pastry cream and had a couple requests from it since it was baked (ahem…my neighbors!). So there was no hesitation in deciding what do bake for September. And you know that chocolate and caramel are a dangerous and delicious combination!
For the pastry cream, here is the recipe.
For the caramel glaze, here is the recipe.
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 ounce high-quality milk chocolate (such as Lindt, Perugina, or Valrhona), chopped
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pastry cream *see recipe
- caramel glaze *see recipe
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Butter a bundt pan and dust the inside with cocoa powder, set aside. Combine cocoa powder and milk chocolate in medium bowl. Pour 1/4 cup boiling water over; whisk until mixture is smooth. Whisk in buttermilk.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in another medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat both sugars, oil, egg, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Add flour and cocoa mixtures; beat until blended (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Carefully cut cooled bundt in half and spread pastry cream onto the bottom half. Cover with the other half of cake. Drizzle on the caramel glaze.