You know I have a weak spot for apple desserts. Caramelized Apple Bundt Cake is just impossible to resist! I know it’s not even close to fall. It is the middle of another scorching hot summer and what better way for me to dream a little about cooler temps and the leaves changing than with an amazing apple cake.
Who am I kidding?!? The leaves never change in these parts of Florida. A girl can dream! This cake…oh, this cake! Caramel is another little problem I secretly deal with. I can’t tell you how I avoid it. I love Heath bars…there! I said it. Adore them. And I love any ice-cream with caramel. Dulce de leche: HUGE PROBLEM. This cake…
You know I realized I don’t post enough recipes with pastry cream. Pastry cream is so easy to whip up and so incredible stuffed in between a gorgeous bundt that has a gooey caramel drizzle. This caramelized apple bundt cake was made just for: Caramel July-#BundtaMonth!
Remember my recent caramel sauce and pastry cream recipes? They were an important part of this incredible cake! The caramel sauce and pastry cream is so versatile. You can use it in so many amazing recipes…let’s see what else I make with them this summer;)
After spreading on the pastry cream I realized that the filling definitely needed a little bit of caramelized apples. It also needed a little bit of caramel drizzled on top!
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used Limoncello)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 2 Tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- pastry cream *see recipe
- caramel sauce *see recipe
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour your bundt pan (regular 10 cup bundt pan). I personally prefer to use baking spray for bundt pans.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating until incorporated. Stir in vanilla, lemon rind, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or limoncello).
- In a large bowl, combine flours, powder, soda, and salt; set aside. IAdd flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
- 3 apples (whatever kind you like)peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- ¼ cup caramel sauce
- In a small saute' pan, melt the butter. Add the apples and sugar. Cook until the apples turn soft. Lower the heat and add the caramel sauce. Toss apples in the caramel to coat.
- slice the cooled cake in the middle. Spread the pastry cream evenly over the bottom layer of the cake. Add some of the caramelized apples on top of the cream. Drizzle on about 2 Tablespoons of the caramel sauce on top of the apples. Make sure to leave enough apples for the top of the cake. Place the other cake layer on top. Add the rest of the caramelized apples to the top of the cake. Drizzle on the caramel sauce.